|Title:||Invasive Species Specialist, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Resource Management|
|Supervisor:||Invasive Species Coordinator|
|Closing Date:||January 18, 2019|
The invasive species specialists will be responsible for participating in terrestrial invasive species (TIS) and aquatic invasive species (AIS) management activities on and around the Fond du Lac (FDL) Reservation.
- Participate and lead seasonal staff in invasive species projects focusing on control including mowing, hand pulling, hand cutting, chain-sawing, herbicide application and other treatment methods for several AIS and TIS in the Northern MN region.
- Conduct invasive species early detection surveys on foot, in vehicles, in watercraft, and utilizing an ARGO using specified paper documentation processes and a GPS unit for TIS and AIS posing threats to the FDL Reservation.
- Work with staff and the general public toward the prevention of spread of AIS and TIS through education of identification of invasive species and proper inspection and decontamination procedures for equipment include but not limited to docks and lifts, watercraft, ATV’s, side-by-sides, trucks, tractors, waders, and others.
- Aid in implementing new invasive species certification programs.
- Present invasive species education and outreach materials to a variety of audiences.
- Monitor, inspect, and decontaminate equipment as required by permits and as needed.
- Travels to multiple work locations to engage in invasive species control/management efforts.
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of all financial records and all records for employees and /or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds is required.
- Ability to move, climb, and work on all types of uneven surfaces is required.
- Walking, standing, running, bending, stooping, climbing, pushing, pulling are required.
- Risks include animal or insect bites and stings, exposure to excessive machinery noise, hot water burns, herbicide exposure, and poisonous plants.
- Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, including work in adverse weather conditions.
- A.A. or A.A.S. with course work in environmental or biological sciences, natural resource management, or a closely related field is required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator license is required; if not licensed at the time of hire must become licensed within 90-days of hire, and must maintain certification for the duration of employment.
- Knowledge of computer applications to include word processing, Access, Excel and Microsoft Outlook is required.
- Familiarity with common invasive species present in Northern Minnesota is required.
- Experience working around a variety of wildlife and plant species is required.
- Experience in conducting plant surveys is preferred.
- Experience in controlling invasive species is preferred.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with invasive species and pesticide regulations is preferred.
- Experience with ArcGIS software, EDDMapS, iNaturalist, ISMTrack, and using a GPS navigational device is preferred.
- Certified as a gravel pit and agricultural hay field inspector is preferred.
- Ability to inspect and repair invasive species equipment and machinery is preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Travel is required.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720