|Title:||Mechanic, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Public Works|
|Supervisor:||Highway Department Manager|
|Closing Date:||May 30, 2019|
Inspect, repair, maintain, and troubleshoot on various vehicles and mechanical equipment relevant to the operations of the Public Works Department.
- Examine vehicles to determine extent of damage or malfunctions.
- Test drive vehicles, and test components and systems, using equipment such as infrared engine analyzers, compression gauges, and computerized diagnostic devices.
- Repair, reline, replace, and adjust brakes.
- Review work orders and discuss work with supervisors.
- Follow checklists to ensure all important parts are examined, including belts, hoses, steering systems, spark plugs, brake and fuel systems, wheel bearings, and other potentially troublesome areas.
- Plan work procedures, using charts, technical manuals, and experience.
- Test and adjust repaired systems to meet manufacturers' performance specifications.
- Confer with workers to obtain descriptions of vehicle problems, and to discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements.
- Perform routine and scheduled maintenance services such as oil changes, lubrications, and tune-ups.
- Disassemble units and inspect parts for wear, using micrometers, calipers, and gauges.
- Overhaul or replace carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starters, and pumps.
- Repair and service air conditioning, heating, engine-cooling, and electrical systems.
- Repair or replace parts such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, and bearings.
- Tear down, repair, and rebuild faulty assemblies such as power systems, steering systems, and linkages.
- Rewire ignition systems, lights, and instrument panels.
- Repair radiator leaks.
- Install and repair accessories such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers.
- Repair manual and automatic transmissions.
- Repair or replace shock absorbers.
- Align vehicles' front ends.
- Rebuild parts such as crankshafts and cylinder blocks.
- Repair damaged automobile bodies.
- Replace and adjust headlights.
- Inspects repairs and adjusts diesel power units, hydraulic systems, injection valves and systems, mold boards, and scarifies on road graders.
- Inspect, adjust and repair gasoline and diesel tractors, and hydraulic and cable operated attachments on tractors.
- Repairs and maintains trenching machines and sets proper grade.
- Performs incidental welding operations on equipment.
- Performs initial inspection of vehicles for DOT certification.
- Coordinate the repairs of vehicle to meet DOT certification.
- Prepares DOT certifications for vehicles.
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees, band members and/or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds is required.
- Walking, standing, bending, stooping, climbing, pushing, pulling are required.
- Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, including work in adverse weather conditions.
- 5 years experience working as a heavy equipment mechanic is required.
- If applicant does not possess a Class B Driver’s License at the time of hire, they must receive a Class B Drivers License Permit within 90-days of hire. And upon receiving a Class B Drivers License Permit must receive the Class B Driver’s License within 90-days. Employment is contingent upon this requirement and must be kept for the duration of employment.
- DOT Inspector certification is required; if not certified at the time of hire, employee must become certified within one year of hire, and must maintain certification for duration of employment.
- Skill in troubleshooting and maintenance of heavy equipment is required.
- Skill in reading maps and project plans is required.
- Knowledge and ability to use all or most shop tools is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Travel is required.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720