|Title:||Public Works Manager, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Public Works|
|Closing Date:||April 30, 2021|
|Salary:||$60,000.00 per year|
Provides direction to the overall management of public works activities. This includes equipment maintenance and streets, parks, water treatment and waste water treatment systems.
- Provides supervision to staff in the department and other staff if located off-site, when necessary. This includes completing their annual appraisals, approving leave time, monitoring their work product, ensuring proper coverage of duties when they are on leave, training for their duties, and any disciplinary action necessary.
- Identifies and prioritized projects' needs, established project completion time-lines, and provides direction for the use of available staff on public works infrastructure maintenance and development.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs the activities of staff in project design, development, construction and inspection on Public Works projects.
- Confers with architects, engineers, developers, consultants and the general public concerning engineering, public works maintenance matters; assists public in design projects to comply with development standards; meets with project developers and designers to advise them on policy standards and alternate design techniques.
- Coordinates engineering and public works activities with other departments and contract engineering services; confers with staff as needed in preparing and reviewing plans and specifications, inspecting and supervising projects, and implementing improvements or extensions of the Reservation’s infrastructure.
- Confers with, and provides direction and guidance to Public Works staff and confers and assists Water/Waste Water Manager related to upgrade, maintenance and repair activities.
- Prepares annual Public Works budgets and submits budget requests to the Reservation Business Committee.
- Attends meetings of various committees and organizations as the Public Works department representative; provides input comment and decisions relative to public works projects and programs.
- Determines the need for contract construction/repair services involving the public works infrastructure; participates in negotiating contracts; monitors contracts to assure compliance with terms and conditions.
- Assists with the development, presentation, and recommendation of long range capital facility and infrastructure plans.
- Directs the development and implementation of preventative maintenance programs involving buildings and other structures, the vehicle fleet, equipment, and streets, and assists with the maintenance of water and wastewater systems.
- Performs development review including checks of improvement drawings and final/parcel maps; oversees or performs inspections on public works improvements.
- Oversees preparation, review, and inspection of engineering and design work on public improvements.
- Responsible for implementation for overseeing Safety Program for Public Works Departments.
- Maintains liaison with County and State agencies.
- Prepare clear and comprehensive written reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with City officials, employees, contractors, the general public and representatives of other agencies.
- Apply specific provisions of applicable building, zoning and standards specifications for public improvements.
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees, band members and/or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Normal physical requirements.
- Class D Driver’s License required and must be insurable under Fond du Lac’s insurance requirements.
- BA Degree in Business or Management; 5 years work experience in a related field; or a combination of education and experience is required.
- Previous experience in construction, public works, or service work is required.
- Management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with budget management is required.
- Demonstrated experience with estimating and preparing bids is required.
- Knowledge of computer applications to include word processing, Access, Excel and Microsoft Outlook is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
- Travel is required.
This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefit plan, which includes medical, dental, retirement, optional life insurance, optional disability coverage and more. For detailed information please click here.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720