|Title:||Staff Attorney, Full Time|
|Location:||FDL Tribal Center|
|Supervisor:||Tribal Attorney/Legal Affairs Office Director|
|Closing Date:||September 16, 2019|
The Staff Attorney provides general legal services to the Band. The Staff Attorney provides advice to the Band and its departments about a wide range of issues. The Staff Attorney’s responsibilities include contract drafting, litigation, working with administrative agencies, preparing tribal ordinances, and other duties as assigned by the Tribal Attorney.
- Representation of and advisor of the Reservation Business Committee on all legal matters affecting the reservation.
- Development of governmental systems, including legislative, judicial, and civil regulatory.
- Contract development.
- Natural resource code development and treaty litigation.
- Economic Development.
- Education and health law issues.
- Indian gaming issues.
- Preparation of testimony on staff and federal legislation affecting the Band.
- Representation of the Band before state legislative committee.
- Employment law issues.
- Any other legal issues which may arise (because of the troubleshooting nature of the position, and exhaustive list is impossible).
- Appropriate work attire is required.
- Must attend all mandatory department trainings.
- Ensures confidentiality of financial records and all records for employees, band members and/or clients.
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
- Some travel may be required.
- Normal physical requirements.
- Law School J.D. degree required.
- Must be licensed to practice law in any state; a license to practice law in Minnesota is preferred.
- Must be licensed to practice law in Minnesota within one year of starting employment.
- Knowledge of Federal, state and local laws.
- Ability to analyze case law and provide recommendations.
- Competence in the essential principles of federal Indian law is required.
- Knowledge of computer applications to include word processing, Access, Excel and Microsoft Outlook is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation’s Personnel Policies.
- Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720