|Location:||FDL Head Start|
|Pay Basis:||Non-Exempt (Hourly)|
|Closing Date:||Permanent Posting|
The Fond du Lac Head Start Programs Teacher is responsible for putting the child development plans into operation, and for providing a program that is nurturing, responsive, culturally rich, and developmentally appropriate and allows for exploration. This position is also responsible for implementing Head Start Performance Standards and other requirements.
Implements a child development program for children:
- Actively advocate and demonstrate appropriate adult - child interactions.
- Assess child p rogress and needs using classroom and home visit observations.
- Adapt the environment and curriculum to meet the needs of all children using developmentally appropriate practice and culturally responsive care giving.
- Follow all health, nutrition and safety guidelines for an optimal classroom environment. Carry out activities related to health, e.g. toileting, diapering, safety in classroom, dental hygiene, and nutrition activities.
- Work occasional evenings for trainings, family nights, home visits, conferences, and child care duties.
- Maintain professional standards toward confidential relationships with all program participants and staff.
- Implement positive behavior management techniques.
Partners with families to accomplish program objectives:
- Share information via home visits, parent teacher conferences, parent committee meetings, and phone, personal, and written communication as necessary.
- Welcome and inform families about how to be effective volunteers for our programs.
- Support families by s haring information on child development.
Assist in accomplishing program objectives:
- Follow the program plan of the Program Manager and support staff.
- Implement the activities as specified in Head Start Performance Standards.
- Participate in classroom observations and receive feedback on classroom improvement from the Program Manager.
- Participate in staff meetings.
- Promote cooperative and quality early childhood philosophy among staff, parents, collaborative partners and community.
Promote staff development:
- Attend training and education opportunities as required.
- Actively engage Foster Grandparents and volunteers within classroom.
- Be familiar with Head Start Performance Standards and Fond du Lac Reservation policies.
Provision/Assurance of Services:
- Displays a responsive and professional manner in solving all requests, complaints, and problems.
- Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of every person including visitors and co - workers.
- Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
- Required to maintain proper atten dance, including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
- Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as management sees the necessity. Some assignments may not be listed on this description.
- Normal physical requirements, including the ability to lift, carry, or restrain a child. Walking, standing, bending, stooping and sitting on the floor with children may be necessary. Ability to pass annual physical examination. All vaccinations must be kept current.
- Home Based Teacher – Class D Driver’s License required and must be insurable under Fond du Lac’s insurance requirements
- Early Head Start (year - round):
- Early Head Start Teachers work with children ages birth to age three.
- Required Credentials: CDA, AA or BA in Early Childhood or related field.
- Willingness to complete infant toddler/child development coursework.
- Home Based (year - round):
- Home Base Teachers work with pregnant mothers and children ages birth – three in the family’s home.
- Required Credentials: same as Early Head Start Teacher requirements above.
- Head Start Teachers (nine months):
- Head Start Teachers work with children age’s three to six.
- Required Credentials: AA or BA in Early Childhood /or/ AA or BA in related field and teaching experience with preschool children /or/ AA or BA in any field with additional coursework in the field of Early Childhood to be equivalent to a major and teaching experience with preschool children.
- May be required to be a bus aide on morning or afternoon bus routes.
- Child Care (nine - month and year - round):
- Child Care Teachers work with children ages 6 weeks to 6 years as part of the Extended Day Program as well as Stand Alone Center Based Child Care.
- Required Credentials: CDA, AA or BA in Early Childhood or related field or the ability to qualify under Fond du Lac Reservation Child Care Requirements (a combination of education and experience) is required.
- Meet the needs of all children including those at risk, those with special needs, those who are gifted, and those who are culturally diverse.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
- Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
- Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
- Subject to testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Employee Drug and Alcohol Policy.
- Subject to pre - employment and annual background checks.
- Some travel is required.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
PLEASE INCLUDE WITH APPLICATION YOUR CREDENTIALS AND RESUME
APPLY TO: Fond du Lac Human Resources
1720 Big Lake Road
Cloquet, MN 55720