Invasive (Non-Local) Species Program
Invasive (non-local) species are defined as species that are foreign and cause economic and/or environmental harm and/ or negatively impact human health. The Fond du Lac invasive species program is focused on the protection of native and culturally significant species through the management of invasive species within the Fond du Lac Reservation boundaries and within the 1854, 1842, and 1837 Ceded Territories. The invasive species program aims to develop sustainability with invasive species management through utilizing species where possible, controlling species where needed to protect native species and significant resources, and to balance populations where detrimental effects are no longer measurable.
The invasive species program is focused on early detection and surveillance, prevention, education and outreach, monitoring, and control efforts for both aquatic and terrestrial invasive species. Currently, we have mapped over 5,000 terrestrial invasive species sites and have recorded several infested lakes. Information on current infested waters can be found in the “water-based” species tab, and terrestrial locations may be made available upon request. The invasive species program, along with other programs in the Resource Management Division follow best management practices to ensure proper decontamination procedures are followed to prevent the spread of invasive species to other sites.
Steps that you everyone can take to prevent the spread of invasive species and be a responsible steward of the environment include:
- Inspect your equipment, including boats, trucks, clothing, gear, duck decoys, etc.
- Drain all water from your boat, motor, bilge, live wells.
- Dispose of leftover bait in a trash receptacle, not in the forest or in the water and never bring bit from one waterbody to the next unless you are using clean (tap) water.
- Rinse your boat and equipment with hot (110 degrees or higher) water, and/ or dry your equipment in the sun for five days before moving to another body of water.
- Do not plant or transfer plants unless you are confident they are native to this area.
- Never release your pets or plants, especially from aquaria, instead bring them to a surrender event for someone else to enjoy.
For more information or to report an invasive species contact:
Invasive Species Coordinator
Fond du Lac Resource Management