Invasive Species Program
Invasive species are defined as species that are foreign and cause economic and/or environmental harm and/ or negatively impact human health. The Fond du Lac invasive species program is focused on the protection of native and culturally significant species through the management of invasive species within the Fond du Lac Reservation boundaries, a buffer area surrounding the Reservation, in and around Spirit Lake and Spirit island, Anderson Island, Wisconsin point, and within the 1854, 1842, and 1837 Ceded Territories. The invasive species program aims to develop sustainability with invasive species management where they are controlled enough to protect native species and are brought to a balance where the detrimental effects they have are no longer measurable.
The invasive species program is focused on early detection and surveillance, prevention, education and outreach, monitoring, and control efforts for both aquatic and terrestrial invasive species. In 2019 we have mapped over 2000 terrestrial infested sites mapped on the Reservation and in the immediately surrounding 1854 Ceded Territory. We have also conducted aquatic invasive surveillance and have found several infested lakes on the Reservation. The invasive species program, along with other programs in the Resource Management Division follows best management practices to ensure that the equipment we use is decontaminated before moving to other sites.
Steps that you everyone can take to prevent the spread of invasive species and be a responsible steward of the environment include:
- Inspect your equipment, including boats, trucks, clothing, gear, duck decoys, etc.
- Drain all water from your boat, motor, bilge, live wells.
- Dispose of leftover bait in a trash receptacle, not in the forest or in the water and never bring bit from one waterbody to the next unless you are using clean (tap) water.
- Rinse your boat and equipment with hot (110 degrees or higher) water, and/ or dry your equipment in the sun for five days before moving to another body of water.
- Do not plant or transfer plants unless you are confident they are native to this area.
- Never release your pets or plants, especially from aquaria, instead bring them to a surrender event for someone else to enjoy.
For more information or to report an invasive species contact:
Invasive Species Coordinator
Fond du Lac Resource Management